Thursday, October 21, 2010

Immigration and Immigrants



So, my program is brand new. That means that we take really ill-thought out field trips to random places while the people studying Europe see castles and churches and get fed. Last Friday we went to the immigration museum. It was a little sad. First of all, it's in the middle of nowhere. The building was built for the colonial fair in 1931, which was meant to spark French interest in the colonies and remind them why they were useful. The result is that the facade of the building depicts highly racist pictures of naked people from different continents farming, catching fish etc. The picture shown is one of the depictions of Africa. Our tour didn't even include the meager exhibits, it was just the architecture. Meanwhile a huge demonstration was going on inside. 200 or more illegal African immigrants have been camping out in the museum (shown in the first picture) to try to get their company to give them papers. The main room was so loud we could barely hear. Irregardless, our tour guide refused to acknowledge the event and continued telling us about the depictions of justice and truth. The whole museum is meant to show that a lot of important people are immigrants and that in fact France is a melting pot much like the US. However the museum is largely ignored by the government, especially when it comes to funding, which is unfortunately made evident by the state that the building is in. All in all I liked the message of the museum and supported their efforts until we specifically asked the tour guide what was going on with all the people. She said that the museum didn't really want them there but that it would look bad to throw them out. This made me sad. I mean, if the immigration museum has no interest in helping all these men, who work all the time to send money home, can't visit their families and can't go back to visit, who will? Upon further research of the issue, the whole situation seems even more sad. http://www.african-arts.info/immigration_museum.htm

Love,
Violet

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting how there's so much more of a protest culture there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So insightful. You are in France at a very interesting time. I've been seeing the news about the protests in Lyons with the raising of the retirement age.
    I know you're in Paris, but if you ever hear wind of what's going on or see anything about it, you should let us know. There's nothing like witnessing an event while in the country.
    On other news, through the grape vine, I heard Katy Perry and that dude with the hair are getting married at rambagh palace in jaipur!!!!!!!! If you and I were only there, you know we'd find our ways in. I think this is rumor but I saw pictures of the couple at the Jaipur airport. Interesting world, hai na?
    Miss you! I want to see you when you get back. And did you fill out the paper work yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go. One post about the strikes.

    Haha, I actually heard that. SO random. There are going to be a lot of happy people making way too much money off of her. I bet I could just walk in. You could be my date. I mean how many other white people will be there who aren't guests?

    I miss you too. I'm filling out the paperwork today. Today is my day of errands I have been neglecting.

    <3

    ReplyDelete