Friday, October 15, 2010

Burlesque! En Francais!


So the other weekend, my friends and I went to a Burlesque Bazaar in the outer rings of Paris. The crowd was amusingly bizarre, and we were having a lot of fun people watching and shopping around. Then the show started. The opening act was a woman with a giant stuffed tiger as a prop, who stripped down to a leopard print bra and underwear, while alternating between tarzan and cat moves. The show continued with women with performances themed by location. The one from Germany was my favorite. She was dressed up as a bar wench holding two big beer glasses (the jug puns were not lost on me). All in all it was really more bizarre than anything else. I think the biggest problem was that French people are sexy without trying, that's the point of them, so if you add the burlesque (in other words, trying really really hard) the appeal sort of falls apart. I guess most people aren't so critical. I mean if you can see penguin pasties on a Sunday afternoon, what more do you want?

Love,
Violet

No comments:

Post a Comment