Sunday, December 5, 2010

My First Two Stops

So, I've been correcting my midterm for French for the last hour, which was on what I did over my vacation. I thought I was finished with that in grade school, but I guess not. I'm super tempted to just copy and paste and let you all figure it out, but because I have been so lazy posting anyhow, I will write something original, sigh. So the first three photos are from Germany. I went to Dusseldorf and the area around in which is the Rhineland. My hosts kept comparing things to Pittsburg because it used to be an mining town. In fact the museum that all of the photos were taken in, used to be a coal mine. The last picture is of the escalator which is intentionally made to resemble magma. In the gift shop there was a paper doll book for an American family in the 90s. I was super amused. I guess we are foreign and exotic. My host was raving about America at some point and her justification for loving it was the introduction of the ankle sock to Germany, goodbye German tourist stereotypes. Germany was nice despite the weather, but at some point I realized that I had effectively come to the US for a weekend and only saw Pittsburg. The last two pictures are from Venice. I spent exactly one full day there, and that was perfect. Especially because it was so cold. There was this thick fog that as really low in the city which made wandering around in the narrow streets creepy and exciting. I'm very glad that I managed to make it there before it sinks. It's certainly like no where else I have ever seen. More countries later.
Love,
Violet


2 comments:

  1. I of course, only ever comment on the photos, but you look beautiful, can't wait to see you, so glad you're having fun and doing what everyone in their 20s should do at least once: frolic around europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your friend above. You look absolutely beautiful, as usual. I miss that face!
    Tickets have not been bought yet, but I plan to be in New York late on the 16th and leaving late on the 20th. And yes, I am coming to see you.

    ReplyDelete